Thursday, September 11, 2008

Love Hate

So the first several days of school were pure bliss for Taylor. Now every morning it is like pulling teeth just to get her out of bed!! She used to get in the car after school (with energy and zest that I can only dream of) and tell me all about how "magnificent" her day was- down to what everyone at the lunch table ate that day. Now she gets in the car and I ask her how her wonderful day was, and all she will say is, "I don't know. I forgot." HELP!!!! We have had a few incidents- a certain girl in her class spat on her one day, then the next day bit her, and pretty much every day inbetween calls her names and stuff. Of course I have talked to the teacher about it and she wasn't aware of any problems. So we try to tell Taylor how to deal with deamons (I mean, kids) like that, and we feel better. But then 2 days ago she came home with a "conduct" sheet saying she was playing in the water in the bathroom sink during potty break and she has to miss half of recess. Ok- I can handle that. Then the next day she came home with another conduct sheet saying that she hit a kid in class, and that she didn't sit right in her chair after lunch. She now has to miss all of recess and sit alone at lunch. Of course I don't think hitting is ok, but the other stuff seems like such typical 5 year old behaviors.... I don't know how to deal with this!!! To me, it seems as though the biting, spitting kid should be in trouble! But now I feel as though the teacher is trying to teach ME a lesson that my child isn't a perfect angel, since I took her time to complain about the spiting and biting girl. I KNOW SHE'S NOT!! But for crying out loud she's only 5!! HELP!!!

5 comments:

Patti Johansen said...

As a teacher myself, and a mom, if things don't get better, I think you should ask to observe the class and sit quietly in the back watching the interactions in the classroom. If the teacher balks, take it to the principal. The happiness of your child is your first priority. By the way, I read your blog and others that are linked from our daughter-in-law's blog (Jennifer J.) - Patti J.

Carreira's Corner said...

taylor is and has always been an extraordinary child - unlike most children her age. we also know that there are many teachers???who should never be in a classroom.i totally agree with Patti J. "the happiness of your child is your first priority' make sure the teacher knows you are in for the long haul and taylor has your full support. continue to be positive and encourage that wonderful imagination of hers. be as active in the classroom as you possibly can. show up with cookies, help with the halloween party etc. let the techer know you are available. but first and formost - never let taylor doubt herself - she is the most amazing child and should never think otherwise. we are always here if you need us!!!! mimi & poppy

Angel said...

who is her teacher....i will slash her tires on Monday...I got your back girl.

Meek House of Insanity said...

Amy,
That is horrible! We had problems here in CA when we moved from TX, with Jacob. He was bullied and had a kid stealing his food from his lunch box. The teacher tried to stop it, but never could. This year he is a completely different kid, not the monster he was last year, but normal sweet Jacob! I agree with the first posts, be there for her, talk to her school authorities and just be involved as much as possible. Also, be patient while supportive, because even if the situation doesn't get resolved soon, she may bounce back like a rubber band when her surroundings change (like a new class!!) You are a great mom and she is a great kid...just remember that and remind her a lot how to act and react. I am sorry this is hard for you, but as the saying goes "If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it!"
Love ya girl,
Jess

Marci said...

Check my blog you have been tagged!
Sorry!